A church dedicated to St Martin has been on the site for about a thousand years, being first recorded in 1086, when the older Saxon church was replaced by a Norman one. The present building dates to about that age, with the addition of a spire, and various restorations throughout the years. Most of what can be seen today is a Victorian restoration by architect Raphael Brandon. A memorial stone to King Richard III is located in the chancel of the church. He is not actually buried there, having been originally buried in the Greyfriars Church in Leicester.